Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1st Day of School - Leading the Charge

Checking in...

The song "Welcome Back...Welcome Back...Welcome Back!" from Welcome Back Kotter! comes to mind as I reflect on the 1st day of school at Phillip O. Berry Academy.  This is my 2nd year teaching at my school and I have been given the opportunity to teach two classes this semester:  Digital Video Production and Web Design.  Both classes are fun to teach and I am looking forward to them. 

I met my students today and they seem to be very excited about returning back to school to see their friends and for the Senior Class of 2011: Graduation in Sights.  My homeroom is a senior homeroom and it was great to meet them.  They will be a great group and I will do my best to help them as much as possible to accomplish many of their goals this year.

On average, I have 23+ students per class and it will be interesting to make sure all students learn/master the materials that will be provided to my classes this year.  Most importantly, I want to continue to make my classes engaging and fun!

The highlight of the day happened in my 2nd period where I was going over my rules and procedures with my students to set the tone for the year.  During this time, I noticed that a student (a senior) had his cellphone out and he "secretly" tried to text someone during this time.  So, I had to get the phone from him and hold it for the remaining of the day.  I thanked him for serving as an example for things not to do for class for this year.  I guessed I was a bit shocked because it was the 1st day of school and this student tried to "test" me and you know I had to get him.  Otherwise, the students observing would have thought I would be a "push over" for the remainder of the year.  You know that is not the case and that won't fly! (smile)

Other than that, the 1st day of school was great and I'm looking forward to the next day to share knowledge and inspiring students to learn.

Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts.

Checking out...

No comments:

Post a Comment