Monday, July 5, 2010

EDC 668 Blog Post - Week #9

Reflect on a successful experience you had managing someone else? What made this successful? What could you have done differently?

In my career, my roles didn't require me to manage another person.  I managed projects and made sure that each person involved with the project was on task and provided a status update of activities that were occurring per the milestones.  The key thing that was successful was that I made sure that a project charter (plan) was provided to each of the key stakeholders to help provide the strategic plans for the project from day 0 to completion.  In other words, the communication had to be clear and concise when I had to work with Vice-Presidents and General Managers who were sponsoring my projects.  

The only thing that I would have done differently is difficult to think about.  The reason why this is the case is that I had to make sure that I was on point because I was a key orchestrator of the project.  If I didn't know the resources, scope, or the time it was going to take, I would be out of the project.  So, I never wanted my sponsors and key stakeholders to not know what was going on.  Furthermore, I would provide enough feedback from my immediate teams to allow various points of view to be provided to show a more collaborative effort.  Again, I was not perfect but, I did strive for excellence in all that I did as a project manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment