Monday, November 16, 2009

EDC 664 - Learning Adventure #5 - MicroWorlds EX

My initial thoughts about Learning Adventure #5: This learning adventure seemed like it was going to be one that I would be drawn to.  Programming wasn't something new to me but, I've never learned how to program in LOGO unless I programmed in this language without knowing I programmed in LOGO. (smile)  After reading the directions given from our professor, it seemed that this "adventure" couldn't be that hard of a task to create a 100 x 100 patch with a turtle.  So, I was willing to try this out and complete this task with "ease."  Again, I was optimistic about learning more about MicroWorlds EX and the introduction to LOGO using the turtle.  Thank you Seymour Papert for keeping us entertained while we learn.


What did I learn while using MicroWorlds EX: This software was fairly easy to use but, that's after reading the information and experimenting with several tries of coming up with a patch that would make some sense to me.  Talking with my other cadremates, I found out that some of us had programming experience and some of us did not.  For those of us who had the programming experience, it was like "a walk in the park."  For those of us who had little to no programming experience, it was a bit challenging.  To make a long story short, this adventure was a success through the help of Fabiola, Dillon, and Mike T.  The strength of knowledge shared among many can accomplish a multitude of challenges that we face daily.  Again, the hatching of the turtle and understanding the "lingo" in LOGO programming helped me to accomplish this task with ease.

Here's a screenshot of my patch for the quilt as demonstrated via Wink 2.0: 


My reflection: As I reflect my thoughts about this "adventure," I was thinking about my experiences as a child learning BASIC for the first time and how much easier it would've been to learn how to program if MicroWorlds EX was available in the early 80s.  The very 1st program that I wrote was about 50 to 100 lines just to make Mr. Bojangles dance left and right in one specific location.  This adventure made me think more like a child going through MicroWorlds EX as Pappert would've wanted us to do so.  Another programming software that comes to mind is Python (which seems to be another variation of MicroWorlds EX).  Again, my patch included the Pepperdine University colors of Royal Blue and Orange.  Renaming the turtle and adding the commands were very simple to do.  If all programming languages were like LOGO and  introduced to all of us at an early age, how much more advanced would our programming skills be to take on the challenges of C#.  The learning curve would be a lot less challenging and it would probably inspire more of us to pursue this skillset.  By taking my time with this exercise, it has inspired me to invest into learning my programming languages again to become proficient in this area.  This will help me share information and expose this type of technology to other students and future programmers.

Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment